Monday, November 5, 2012

Vagabonds And Rogues

Vagabond and rogue.
Two great words.
A vagabond is defined as someone who moves from place to place without a fixed home, characteristic of a wanderer, leading an unsettled, irresponsible or disreputable life.
A rogue is defined as a vagrant,a tramp, a dishonest or worthless person, a mischievous person. That sounds a little harsh to me. Sounds like a definition put together by a person stuck in responsibility, smothered by obligation, unable to improvise or riff or cut loose or smile.
I think of a rogue as a rugged individualist. Someone outside the norm, someone who sneers at society and the hypocrisy of it's rules.
I could see myself as a rogue easier than I can see myself as a vagabond. I don't see myself hopping freight trains and eating beans out of a can heated over a fire.
The Allman Brothers have an album titled Enlightened Rogues. I love that twist.
That's what I want. I want to be an enlightened rogue.
Enlightened intellectually, spiritually, and as a loving, independent human being, while still existing outside the role that the world continuously tries to define for me.
Join me, won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment