Thursday, November 1, 2012

Oh, Sandy

We lucked out with Sandy. We got high winds and rain but we never lost our power and nothing got broke.
This is a miracle because where I live things are delicate and it drives me crazy. If I sneeze we lose our power.
I went into facebook on Tuesday to write about how I stood in front of my house with fist raised and scared Sandy away. I didn't post it because it hit me that there were lots of people who were not as lucky. In NH and especially in NY and NJ.
After dragging my tired ancient ass home from work last night and whipping up a fabulous sausage, onion and potato casserole for me and the wife to enjoy, I sat my tired ancient ass down in the Holy Recliner and watched a lot of coverage of the devastation and suffering the storm caused.
Deaths. Homes destroyed. People scrambling to find food, to stay warm, to begin to try to figure out how the hell to get it all back.
Beginning to wrangle with heartless insurance companies that will fight them every step of the way.
Humans are bugs. We are fragile. We are small physically and mentally.
We strut our stuff pretending to be all knowing and all powerful and end up make our existence even more fragile.
By abusing the environment, abusing each other, abusing our bodies, abusing our minds and destroying our psyches, individually and collectively.
You may not believe in climate change. If that is the case then you probably believe in God. Or Santa Claus.
You are the type that ignores common sense and facts and believes in the unbelievable, the supernatural.
Believing that man's stupidity and greed and lack of foresight has had no impact on the environment is like believing that if you scoop some deposits out of your cats' kitty litter box and throw it in the delightful lasagna you are baking, it will have no effect.
My heart ached watching these people cry and wander with glazed eyes trying to make sense of and get out from under the sudden destruction that has been visited upon their lives. My heart always aches at human suffering.
It is so hard just going to work every day doing meaningless tasks for chump change, getting insulted and lied to by immoral employers, coming home to a house that the bank owns and eating pasta one more time because you can't afford a Porterhouse.
Then to have even that ripped away from you in a heartbeat and be left standing alone against the world and Mother Nature and an uncertain and overwhelming future must rip your mind from it's moorings.
I am glad I didn't post frivolous comments on facebook.
Human suffering, on the scale of the daily grind and on the scale of monumental disasters, is not a f***ing joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment