Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Dog's Ass

Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

Yesterday was a glorious day for me, maybe a glorious day for Carol.

Yesterday I picked up my new ride -  a 2004 Lincoln Town Car. This is a beautiful car, a car that makes me happy, makes me feel good. It even has a CD player.

67,000 miles on this beauty.

I have gone somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 years without a CD player, and the cassette players in my vehicles did not work. I need music just to be able to draw breath. I essentially just bought 4,000 pounds of car to house my mobile CD player.

This is the first car I have ever owned that I am excited about. The first car that I truly love. That I am proud of. That feels like me, that feels like it is mine.

A car I did not have to settle for.

I came close once before. Bought a Trans Am when our business was failing but I bought it with blood money. Money that should have been used to save the business or smooth out our life. I was delirious at the time. Predictably the car eventually blew up on me. I never really felt good driving it.

You are saying: "Joe, you idiot - you finally get a decent paying job, a chance to dig out, and you blow it on a ridiculously expensive car."

You are dead wrong, brother.

My 1997 Dodge Dakota pick up was dying on me. Had to make a move. We figured out what we could afford and I went to the website of the only place I would ever buy a used car. Phillips Auto Sales in Chichester, NH. This is the fourth car we have bought from them. They are a family owned business and they are trustworthy. We don't even ask questions anymore. Drive the car, if it feels good - buy it. We have never had one bit of trouble with any of their cars.

Saw the Lincoln and I was immediately intrigued. But I didn't think it could happen. All the practical triggers kicked in. Gas mileage, too much car, expensive maintenance.

Went to the lot, drove it, I was a dead man. Had to have it.

The catch is we were able to finance it within our budget. No stretch.

Now I know you are saying: "See, Joe - look what the new job did for you."

You are dead wrong, brother.

The new job enabled me to buy a car. True, if I was still a part timer I would have had to buy a 1972 Pinto with 476,136 miles on it.  The new job enabled me to do better.

Karma is what brought the Lincoln into my life. With our budget you would never expect to buy a luxury car. Especially with low mileage.

This car is all about timing, all about reward, it is all about good vibes coming back around at precisely the right time and in precisely the right direction.

Carol will not enjoy reading this but when this all came together part of my brain said: "If this job is going to kill me then I am going to have some fun before I die."

That is an overly dramatic and overly romanticized sentiment. The truth is I will transcend this job and come out the other end driving a Lincoln Town car.

I have been experiencing foreign feelings of positivity lately. Coming from within. Don't know what's going on but I like what's going on.

Maybe, maybe, maybe, after all these years I am figuring it out. From the inside out, which is the only way to do it.

First CD in the Lincoln as I drove to work from Phillips yesterday - Shades of Two Worlds. Allman Brothers. The CD was particularly meaningful to me because I listened to it a lot this summer whenever Carol graced me with The Peace Mobile.

Listened to it on many mornings and many nights when I was in agony. Confused and anxious and angry.

It lifted me up. It was the appropriate CD to listen to as I drove this amazing good thing in my life.

The ride home - Sign No More - Mumford & Sons. My new passion.

I sang spiritedly to and fro. In pure happiness and gratitude.

Even the sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

I am looking to get my ass absolutely burned over the next ten years.

1 comment:

  1. Send me a f$&?kin pix of the car....are you sure mrs Lincoln likes it... I unfortunately can see you two in the massive backseat.

    ReplyDelete