Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Great Rock 'N Roll Story

Carol has a big hand in finding books for me to read.

She reads book reviews in the paper and refers to me the ones she knows I'll like. Not thinks she knows I like, absolutely knows I'll like. She is right 99% of the time.

Thirty five years of the Joe Circus has honed her understanding of me to a razor sharp edge. Why she never took off for Mexico with Raoul the pool boy is beyond me.

 I would never know these reviews even existed if it wasn't for Carol. I don't read the paper. Not because I have anything against newspapers. I think people look cool reading newspapers. Something cool about getting your news that way. Carol does it every day, in fact I hear it rustling right now. Her Sunday ritual. She loves it.

Every time I see that ad for the New York Times weekend subscription I ache to sign up for it. Those people look so intelligent and relaxed reading The Times.

I don't read newspapers because it is too hard to figure out how to fold the pages. I can't do it efficiently. They flip and flop around in my hands and I can't get the seams right.

When a story is continued from Page 2 to Page 9 I am really out of sync. I want to get there quickly but the newspaper develops a stiff spine and the pages won't bend. I get frustrated and throw it against the wall.

In addition, most of the time when my ass is in the recliner, a cat is in my lap. You cannot efficiently negotiate the pages of a newspaper with a cat in your lap.

But that is all a story for another place and time.

One of Carol's most recent recommendations is an autobiography by Graham Nash. I gotta have it.

CS&N ( and sometimes Y) were and continue to be an amazing group. Beautiful harmonies beyond description. We saw them a few years ago at Meadowbrook on a gorgeous summer night. As the last song came to an end there were tears in my eyes. It was the perfect melding of exquisite music on a beautiful night in a magical place.

Anyway, when you write a book, the publisher's legal department reviews it before publication to make sure nobody gets in trouble. Nash tells a great Crosby story in the book and here's his summary of how it went.

Graham Nash: "The only time legal ever called me was about the story I put in there about Crosby selling his Mercedes to a crack dealer and the guy OD's and Crosby breaks into the house, while the body is still warm, and stole back the sales slip for the car.

Legal wanted me to check with Crosby one more time to make sure that happened. He said, "Not only was it true, but I re-sold the car."

No comments:

Post a Comment