Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What You Don't Know About Keith Richards

He writes a lot of ballads. Sensitive love songs that reveal his heart in his own unique way.

Back in the cassette days I made a compilation of Keith songs. From The Stones and from his solo recordings.

I love his songs. I loved that tape. I shall have to do the same with my magical iPod machine.

Digging a song on Bigger Bang. The CD was released in 2005. I am not one of these Stones purists who insist they have never made a better album than Exile On Main Street.

I love all their new stuff too.

On The Stones albums all the songs are credited to M. Jagger/K. Richards, but you know who had the heavier creative hand by the tone of the song.

There is a song on this album called "This Place Is Empty."

"Walk right in, sit on down, and make yourself at home, come on baby you're just like me and you hate to be alone."

"It's funny how things go around, but go around they do, this place is empty, empty, so empty without you."

"Come on, simmer down and treat me sweet and cool, at least by now you have learned how to love a fool."

"It's funny how things turn around, it's crazy but it's true, this place is empty, so empty, so empty without you."

A lot of Keith's ballads reveal his vulnerability and are self deprecating. This is in exact opposition to the tough guy image he projects.

This is very good music from a complicated soul.

Give it a try. It might change your image of the man.

Post script: There is another song on this album called She Saw Me Coming. This one is all Jagger and I love it because it is Jagger upside down. He usually projects the ladies man, hot lover, I own the women image.

"She saw me coming, she saw me coming, yeah, I didn't see a thing, I wasn't looking, I just walked into it, sucker for it, I'm a sucker, thought I was so cool, she saw me coming, boy did I get screwed."

"She saw me coming, yeah, yes she did, she saw me coming, right on the grid, right on the grid, she saw me coming, oh what a stupid jerk, she saw me coming, she was a piece of work."

These guys are talented. This rock 'n roll thing just might work out for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment