Monday, September 30, 2013

The Most Dificult Decision

I made the most difficult decision of my life last night.

Breaking Bad vs The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS.

Last night was the final episode of Breaking Bad. A magnificent show that Carol and I have invested an enormous amount of energy in.

We made the commitment at the beginning of the year to watch all 5 years of the show chronologically through Netflix. Through the mail.

Because we did it through the mail, and because life is relentless, not smooth, it took many months to get this done.

But it was worth it.

So the set up is, last night is THE final episode AND THE PATS are playing the falcons on Sunday night football.

Understand my love of football. Understand my love of THE PATS.

Ultimately I could not delay the final episode. I could not DVR it. For one thing I work with absolute morons, people so incredibly stupid that they would not hesitate to give away the final outcome.

In addition, after so much effort expended, such a beloved commitment, it just did not seem right to watch the finale on tape delay.

However, please note: I am being robbed of many opportunities to watch THE PATS live because of my hideous job. This is an unprecedented position I find myself in. I know I am going to be screwed out of a certain number of opportunities to watch my beloved PATS over the season because my job is the worst of the worst. I have a chance to watch them live on a Sunday night when The Asylum is closed but Breaking Bad butts up against that situation.

Hard luck, baby - hard luck.

I opted for Breaking Bad. And I do not regret it.

Watched most of the first quarter of THE PATS and then made the switch.

The show delivered. So emotional, so final, so meaningful. Breaking Bad gave me what I wanted. As opposed to The Sopranos which chose an artsy ending and left the world hanging.

The final episode of Breaking Bad answered questions and ended in truth. And sadness and heartbreak.

Tuned back in to THE PATS who were in quarter 3 and rooted them on to the end. Which turned out to be difficult because the game came down to the wire.

But I made it. Stayed awake. And watched THE PATS go to 4 and 0. Along with only 3 other teams in the NFL.

Heady stuff.

I am amazed I am awake to even write these words. I got to bed at midnight and rose at 5:30 to head on in to stupid city.

But here I am.

It ended up being a hell of a night. Breaking Bad doing what it needed to do to me and Carol, THE PATS going 4 and 0.

My emotions were all over the map last night.

But at least I had emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment