Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Quotes And Thoughts That Make Sense To Me

Watching an episode of The Sopranos last night. One of the family bosses says to Tony: "You gotta be a better friend to yourself."

That is a simple statement with a world of weight. Many times we are better to our friends than we are to ourselves. Heavy duty, baby.

A statement on NYPD Blue that I always loved: "I'll have a good thought." When somebody was sick or going through a tough time, instead of saying I'll be thinking about you or I will say a prayer for you, it was "I''ll have a good thought."

In the book I am reading, The Bartender's Tale, the son of the bartender says "I realized that money makes a difference in life." This was after his dad was able to sell off some stuff and buy them some breathing room.

This is the point I try eternally to make. Not that money should be worshipped or that money buys happiness. Just that money makes a difference in life.

If you can get enough of it to drastically reduce the number of times you are forced to look over your shoulder, then it has made a difference. Bought you some dignity. Created space for the seed of peace of mind to be planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment