Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Gotta Be Your Own Advocate

I used to work with a woman, Susan, when I was Assistant Manager of the Peterborough Liquor Store, and we would talk disparagingly about the ego-bloated medical community here in this great land of ours.

I highlighted my title not because I am proud of it - I never was - but because it is amusing to me that a Lover of Liquor should be assistant manager of a liquor store. 

There were certain advantages available to me as asst. mgr, and I took advantage of them. Many times I was alone in the early morning or late at night, and the nip rack was vulnerable. Nip inventory was always off; hard to say why. I also availed myself of the Special Manager's Discount on expensive bottles of booze, when nobody was looking.

The poor have to do whatever is required to survive.

Amusing Side Story: The nip rack was right in front of a register, obviously to cut down on thievery. Had a guy walk in who couldn't speak English or chose not to - I was on the register. He grabbed a nip, said something to me I couldn't understand, and laughed. I told him I could not understand him. He said it again and laughed. I shrugged. He twisted the nip open, guzzled it in front of me and ran out of the store laughing. I did the only thing a self-respecting assistant manager would do - I laughed too.

As in every other phase of my life, I was drawn to scofflaw co-workers in the liquor store and they to me. One young guy and I got along really well. Lots of laughs. 

When we were alone in the store late at night, dangerous and bizarre things would occur. I am amazed customers did not complain about our breath or our generally loose behavior.

Good, clean fun.

So Susan and I would have discussions about the corrupt, ego-bloated medical community - her favorite mantra was "You gotta be your own advocate."

I have taken those words to heart over the past few years. Especially now.

Had a conversation with Keith last night; he inspired me to spring into action. His advice came from his own experience with physical ailments and physical therapy, as well as Krista's expertise as a physical therapist.

I am not happy with how this knee thing is being handled. Surgery on 4/8, follow-up appointment on 4/20 - no discussion whatsoever about physical therapy. So after last night's conversation I called Henniker Physical Therapy this morning for advice and info, then I called orthopedics at Concord Hospital, then I called the office of Dr. Burns - orthopedic surgeon extraordinaire.

I told them I want to begin physical therapy as soon as possible and I want to do it in Henniker. The person I spoke to is going to get that info to Burnsy, and let me know where I stand.

You get a sense of what's what from what your body is telling you. My sense is that recovery is not going to happen overnight, so I need to get the best advice available, then push and accelerate the process as far as is healthy for me.

God knows I will not get good or timely advice from the ego-bloated medical community here in this great land of ours unless I beat it out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment