Saturday, April 23, 2022

Just The Facts, Ma'am

The knee still hurts. Still on crutches.

Surgery was on 4/8. Follow up with Dr. WTF was on 4/20. One of the first things he said was "Most people are off the crutches by now." To which I responded "Well, it still hurts."

His words set off alarm bells in my head because I feel like something is wrong here.

I asked him if the pain indicates that something is wrong. He said. "No. It happens sometimes." Off the cuff, no concern at all.

We talked, I told him what was going on, he took me to the cinema to see the inside of my knee. Pretty interesting, really. Pictures before, during and after surgery. Some really ragged shit going on in there, which he cut the fuck out.

One of his flunkies took the stitches out of my knee and put that cute surgical tape on the wound.

Afterwards I took out my list to make sure I covered everything (I pinned that motherfucker down).

He said no physical therapy yet, until the pain subsides. Not sure about the wisdom of that. Then he decided to give me a cortisone shot. He said to give it an hour, the pain would go away, and I would be able to walk on it. I believed him because he has done this many times before. He jabbed the needle into my beleagured knee and told me to come back in two weeks. That was it. Wait and fucking see.

He was wrong. The pain did not go away, it did not subside at all. That's when I decided something is really wrong here. Plus my wound opened up; there was blood on my pants.

Coincidentally, I got one of those "How did your appointment go?" texts. I gave it to him with both barrels. Told him I feel he is shooting in the dark, doesn't know why I am still in pain, doesn't seem concerned about it, and that I am going to pursue a second opinion.

He called the next day but I missed it. Message said he was sorry I am still in pain, I should definitely go ahead and get a second opinion blah blah blah.

That was on Thursday.

I decided I would see how things go through Sunday. No progress? Explore second opinion on Monday. Get someone to lay out a specific plan of attack instead of just "waiting two weeks."

I can tell you that as of today there has been no improvement. None.

I feel that Jesus has abandoned me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment