Monday, April 25, 2022

The NFL Draft

Fresh perspective.

Just watched a chunk of Good Morning Football. Just now. Eating a bowl of cornflakes, sipping on V8 (No vodka). They say the draft is up in the air this year. That there is no definite frontrunner.

This intrigues me because I haven't been paying attention. And because...........

Every year you know exactly who is going in the first slot. You know which team is going to get him. But still, they start the clock.....tick tick tick..........the team pretends to mull it over, stretching out time, creating faux drama and then................surprise surprise they pick exactly who you know they will pick.

It is a fucking joke. Disingenuous and insulting to football fans.

Apparently that is not the case this year. So I will watch the first pick. Maybe more. It is thrilling to watch lives change for the good in a heartbeat.

The drama is in keeping with my favorite dramatic device - deus ex machina.

This is the only hope I have of saving my life. Either going #1 in the NFL draft, or deus ex machina.

Neither of those things are going to happen. I will spend the rest of my life like everyone else, crawling on my hands and knees, chains wrapped around my waist, weights attached to my ankles, until I cross the finish line into retirement, where I will die one day later.

That's OK. I deserve to be punished. So do you.

It's just that the fantasy of either going #1 in the NFL draft, or deus ex machina occurring, is a fun and entertaining delusion. You must have an escape. Even if it is only in your imagination.

I hope we have another pandemic before Thursday. No pomp, no circumstance. Last year Trevor Lawrence was sitting in his living room with his parents when he went #1. He got up and they all hugged.

That's the way it should be. The parents of these guys worked hard to get them there, sacrificed a lot of money, a lot of time and a lot of worry. The celebration should be private (?????) and heartfelt.

However it goes I will watch a chunk on Thursday night. WTF? Why not?

"And with the #1 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select.....................Joseph Testa."

FINALLY..................I get to live where the weather suits my clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment