Thursday, June 2, 2022

Jesus Will Take Me

So I get home on Tuesday at 6:30 and Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are still playing.

I expected this.

They were in the 4th set. Nadal won the first set 6-2, Djokovic won the second set 6-4, Nadal won the third set 6-2. When I got home Djokovic was up 5-2 in the fourth set.

I was elated. This was fucking perfect. Djokovic would win that set, setting up a fifth set - which I could watch in its entirety LIVE. Fucking live, man.

One set live between these two men would have made my day - it would have gone on forever because of long, exquisite rallies and extreme competition.

I go upstairs, change my costume for comfortable clothes, do this, do that - come downstairs and the score is 5-3, Djokovic. As the next game begins I realize that Nadal is suddenly dominating and Djokovic looks tired.

5-4. 5-5. 6-5. 6-6. Tiebreak. Which Nadal wins. 7-6 Nadal. Match Nadal.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Rafa, baby - come on, man - I am in your corner. You are the current bad boy of professional tennis - I always root for the bad boys. Besides, you fucking kick ass. I love to watch you play. Intensity through the roof.

You couldn't tank one set so I could have a life?

Jesus fucking Christ.

I recorded the whole match, I will watch it in bits and pieces over the next few days, but it will not be the same.

I come home from a demeaning job, I am angry, tired and hopeless - a fifth set would have breathed temporary life into my temporary life - but you stole that away from me.

You are playing in the semi-finals....................tomorrow. I am working tomorrow. Fucking working my part-time, demeaning job while you perform on one of the world's biggest stages. I am fucked by destiny once again. Sensing a pattern here?

Sidenote: I just watched the Women's semi-final match between Iga Swiatek and Daria Kasatkina. Just this morning. Swiatek kicked Kasatkina's ass. 6-2. 6-1. I would dearly love to watch the Women's Final. The final is being played on Saturday during the day, our time. I am working Saturday afternoon. All afternoon.

The Men's Final is being played on Sunday. I am praying that Nadal reaches the Final. I do not have to work on Sunday.

Jesus will probably take me on Saturday night.

Whaddya gonna do?

No comments:

Post a Comment