Thursday, June 16, 2022

The Power of Music Alfresco on a Bandstand in a Small Town on a Summer Night

Henniker sponsors a summer music series.

Every Tuesday night, downtown at the bandstand on the lawn, starting in June and running through August 30. Very cool. Blues, rock, jazz, bluegrass, pop, big band, and reggae. You kidding me? In little downtown Henniker? For free?

The first concert kicked off this year's series this past Tuesday night. Carol and I attended. Gorgeous night in a beautiful setting.

It is exactly what you picture a small town event to be. Kind of like that Michael J. Fox movie - Doc Hollywood. Hundreds of people with fold-out chairs, coolers, dogs, children. The average age of the audience is 83 (and I factored in the kids).

Doesn't matter. We really dig it. We pick up subs, set up the chairs, chow, and dig the music. So sweetly peaceful.

Here's the catch. I was down on Tuesday. All day. Really, really down. Strange, but as I analyze myself, as I get more honest about my shortcomings, it seems to bring on depression. Because I am creating a vacuum. Out with the old, in with............................nothing. I got no plan. Not sure what the hell to do.

It was Carol's idea to attend the concert. I did not want to leave the house. Buying subs meant I would have to deal with people. Going to the concert meant I would have to deal with people. I did not want to have to talk to another human being.

I agreed to go because I owe it to Carol. My unhappiness should not infect her happiness.

I survived the sub shop, I survived setting up the chairs, sat down, took a look around and smiled inwardly. Such a beautiful spot, such a gorgeous night. Began to chow, the music started up, and I was happy. I felt good. Just like that. 

Digging Carol's company. Talking to each other, making each other smile. She spotted a little "learning to walk" girl and pointed her out to me. We watched her stagger, watched her ass hit the ground. Carol so loves that, she never got her little girl. I reached out unconsciously, no premeditation, and grabbed Carol's hand in mine. What the hell was that?

Digging on the setting - little kids running around, the tiny girl just learning to walk, older kids throwing balls around, dogs everywhere getting lots of attention. I love that. People randomly walking up to dog owners asking "OK if I pat him?" The dogs rolling over and lapping up the love. As dogs should.

People tapping their feet, bobbing their heads, buying raffle tickets, food, eating ice cream, pulled pork sandwiches; wrestling food out of their picnic baskets.

What an incredibly peaceful, simple, happy vibe.

Conversations, smiles. Are you shitting me? Is this what happy humans do?

Five minute ride from the house. Doesn't get any easier than that.

I have some "real" concerts lined up this summer. In fact, I just got screwed out of my first one last night. Me and Phil had tickets to see Devon Allman in Concord - Gregg Allman's son. The show got cancelled because of small ticket sales.

Going to see Tedeschi-Trucks on July 2 in Gilford, NH with my brother Ed. Going to see Marshall Tucker on July 29 in Beverly MA with Phil.

It takes work to go to these concerts. Gotta drive. Watch alcohol intake, deal with crowds. Bathrooms (very important for a 68 year old male). Late night.

Honestly, I am not that excited about going to these concerts. I would rather enjoy The Power of Music Alfresco on a Bandstand in a Small Town on a Summer Night.

I am so glad Carol inspired us to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment