Friday, June 17, 2022

The Saddest Song in the World

 "Moonshine whiskey, outta be a crime, when I start drinkin', I'm bound to lose my mind, oh Brother, got to get it a few more time, now what's that smokin', yonder 'cross the hill, looks like our secret hideaway, we had so many years, John Law done come and run us away from here.

He burned down the liquor store

He burned down the liquor store

John Law burned down the liquor store

John Law burned down the liquor store"


Bullshit! Are you fucking kidding me? John Law sucks, man - committed to depriving people of fun unless he can make a few bucks off it.

The band we dug on the Henniker bandstand this past Tuesday night was Peabody's Coal Train. Six guys playing acoustic Americana. Covers and originals. Guitar, mandolin, bass, banjo, harmonica. Superb.

They sang John Law Burned Down the Liquor Store. Never heard it before; it caught my attention that night. This is the beauty of these concerts, you never know what you're gonna get but it is always good.

Next week: Downtown Horns. Jazz, blues, R&B and Latin. Are you kidding me? In little ole Henniker?

The following words escaped my lips on Tuesday night, directed to Carol: "We should come to every one of these concerts this year."

Holy Moly, where did that come from?

Every year we wiffle and waffle, procrastinate and get lazy, and eventually go to 2 or 3 concerts. But that night really got to me. Don't forget, I went there as a prisoner handcuffed by depression who wanted nothing more that night than to stay home. No human contact.

But shit, man - the variety of music offered is stunning. And talented. And inspiring. Why not check all of it out? And get out of the house, and eat, and talk, and laugh on a precious summer night? BE ALIVE.

That's the goal. Remember, Winter is Coming.

But in the meantime, if John Law burns down the liquor store, I'll break his fucking head.

No comments:

Post a Comment