Sunday, June 5, 2022

Two Weeks Supreme

I just watched Rafael Nadal win his 14th French Open.

This is the ice cream on the cake of two weeks of bliss for me. I have watched so much tennis in the last two weeks that I am beginning to believe that happiness is attainable.

Tennis is a supreme sport. Rafael Nadal is the undisputed King of Tennis, in my humble opinion. He has won 2 Australian Opens, 4 U.S. Opens, 2 at Wimbledon, and.......14 French Opens. He has won 22 Grand Slam titles; Federer and Djokovic have each won 20.

But fuck all that - he is just fun and amazing to watch. Amazing

I watched him play Djokovic, Zverev and Ruud. Zverev gave Nadal the toughest run for his money, forcing him to a tie breaker in the first set, which Nadal won, and forcing him to a tie breaker in the second set. As they were duking out the second tie breaker, Zverev suffered a gruesome foot injury that resulted in several torn ligaments in his right foot. He was forced to concede.

I really wanted that match to continue because it was epic. I was actually sizing up Zverev as someone to root for in the future. The guy played amazing tennis.

Look at my face. Do you see the smile? A real smile, not the phony one I paste on every day to pretend to outsiders that all is well.

I love tennis, man. I fucking love it. I played a lot of it when I was younger, so I have a deeper appreciation for the sport than an outsider.

Wimbledon is coming up - June 27-July 10. I am going to give it the same blanket covereage I gave to the French Open. How could I not? The last two weeks added 4 days onto my life. If I keep this up I may live to see 70.

(I always have to get fucking morbid, don't I?)

Final Thoughts: - Tennis is a sport for loners. You are isolated out there. No one to depend on but yourself. And it is grueling. Nadal and Zverev took 3 hours to play 2 sets. Three fucking hours. If that match went 5 sets it would probably have taken close to 6 hours.

Could you do that?

Tennis is a metaphor for life. You are alone against the world. You have to be in supreme physical and mental condition to win. Or you get crushed by the asphalt roller of your competition.

You have to be in peak fighing condition to win at life. To really win at life.

Most of us are fat, dumb and lazy. That's why we lose.

Of course, you could always cheat. As most fat, dumb successful people do.

Anyway, I am getting off track. I love tennis. I love it with all my heart. And tennis loves me back. It treats me well. It extends my life. It thrills me. It makes me smile, gasp and exclaim.

Fucking A, man - it has been a supreme two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment