Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Four More Dead

How does the human mind work?
What is it about us that allows us to think that because we differ in religious views or political point of view, it is OK to kill?
Yesterday protesters attacked U.S. diplomatic compounds in Egypt and Libya, killing four.
How is it that we see death as a solution to what is essentially a difference in perspective or philosophy?
Life is THE most precious thing most of us have. And to some it is not even that precious.
Allow me to explain.
If you are just getting by, if you are struggling every single day, than being alive is the only meaningful thing you have. For some reason, no matter how bad you have it, you keep on going.
Because you are alive.
A lot of people who struggle are not that impressed with life. Not real pleased with the way they live. But they keep on keeping on.
If you have money you have a cushion. You have peace that most people don't. If your truck breaks down, you get it towed knowing that paying the bill is no trouble, you rent a car, a luxury car just for fun, and you smooth on with your life.
Maybe you have a different perspective than the millions who struggle.
I am not saying that life is not precious to you, but it is not in your face every day forcing you to consider breathing a luxury.
Life is this mystical, magical thing and it is all you got for most of us.
The enormity of deciding to kill for any reason is mind blowing. For ideological reasons it is beyond my comprehension.
I kill people in my mind every day. People who insult me, people who disrespect me, people who lie to me.
But ideological differences don't make me want to kill.
At least not until the current crop of republicans came along.
(Editor's note to those who are secretly monitoring my words: I am not going to kill anyone. I am not capable of that emotionally, physically, or intellectually. So don't show up at my home with handcuffs and tasers, please. I am speaking metaphorically (look it up).
I am a bit over the top at the moment because it disgusts me that this crap just keeps on happening.
As a race we are habitually unable to learn from the past.
We kill. Nothing gets better. We kill again.
Human beings take this thing called life and trivialize it in so many ways.
We are an ignorant species and deserve to become extinct.
And we will.
One more point. This is one more enormous issue that President Barack Obama has to deal with. This man has had to deal with problems so enormous and so complex and so intricately interconnected on a global basis that you would think he would curl up in a corner and cry.
He doesn't. He does his thing.
If he handles the situation successfully he will get no credit. And I'm sure republicans are already blaming him for these deaths.
I have enormous respect for this man.
You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment