Monday, September 24, 2012

Race Day......................Again

I have not visited in a few days and those who know me, know full well that I now have 103 things to write about.
I like having a backlog. Endless writing fuels me and brings me peace.
I was not going to write about the race. NASCAR. Went to the race yesterday and dug it royally. I write about it every year and its always about the spectacle, the larger than life event, the ritual, the partying.
This year it was about being human so I got something new to say.
Don't get me wrong. It was large. It was insane. The weather was perfect. We partied. Unfortunately the race was boring. It happens.
But the day was defined more by the absence of Cori and Sarge than by the usual parameters.
We were hanging and partying and eating and drinking - having a damn good time - but every once in a while somebody would stop and say "It's not the same. Feels like something is missing."
Sarge is sick and fighting it like a warrior, but he and Cori could not make the race.
Having them at the race makes it all work. They are larger than life and cooler than life. In their own understated way they are the core of the proceedings.
When they are not there you cannot help but notice. Their absence is a physical thing. You feel it. It cannot be ignored.
It says a lot about people if they have an impact whether they are around or not. People like that are rare and magical and a gift and a source of laughter and good times and true friendship and emotion.
That is Cori and Sarge.
We included them in our own way. Collected a couple of T-shirts, one paid for, one "appropriated". We all signed one of the shirts with messages for them both.
We created a Pabst Blue Ribbon tribute (Sarge's beer of choice since before he was born).
When the green flag dropped at the start of the race, tears trickled out from under my sunglasses. The sunglasses I choose because I think they make me look cool. The only cool thing on my face was the tears because they were real.
I want to be real f***ing clear about this. The tears were a recognition that Cori and Sarge were not there for reasons they do not deserve to have to deal with. AND the tears continued because I pictured next year when we will all be together again and how much fun that will be. They were tears of disappointment and hope. Actually more than hope.
I believe attitude is everything in fighting for health, and Sarge is tough and he is amazingly optimistic with a tremendous sense of humor. I know he will win.
There was a lot of hugging, a lot of warmth. Had a great conversation with Kevin and Paul, amplified with a powerful and emotional group hug. A warm and meaningful hug with Wayne and much good conversation. Hugs and conversation with John. Great conversation with my lovely and special wife. Laughter and enjoyment throughout.
Cori and Sarge's spirit energized us, made us feel human and kept us real.
A cool aside. I took a lovely stroll with John. Cori's Dad.
He had tickets to the Miller Lite hospitality tent. You pop in there and you pick up free trinkets and some free beer. When we all made our way to the track, John and I left our coolers at the seats under Carol's watchful eye and began travelling.
It was a long goddamn walk. Halfway around the track in the opposite direction than the other 99,998 race fans were going.
We arrived at the general area to check in, but couldn't find the right location. After wandering a bit and asking a few people, we finally figured it out.
As we approached we were stopped. "We are closing the hospitality tent in fifteen minutes so we are not letting anybody else in." The tent itself was in the infield of the track so that would have been another trek anyway.
Of course we gave it a shot. Tried to convince them to let us go, grab a beer and a well deserved trinket.
No go.
So we walked all the goddamn way back to our seats. I'm surprised I didn't fall asleep during the race.
Another cool aside. Paul and Kevin, in keeping with family racing tradition, "appropriated" a Coors Light racing sign. I am proud of them and feel comfortable knowing that this tradition has been passed down to good hands.
It was a great day. A lot of fun. Lots of laughter. Some quiet contemplation.
I realized that this event, and probably anything you look forward to and participate in, is not about the insanity or the passion.
It's about the people.
Carol and I spent the day with good people. And family.
A day of honest emotion and love.
Cori and Sarge didn't make it and we MISSED them. But in a cool way they were there anyway.
Together they have created a vibe in this world that will always be there.
A vibe that makes people feel good.
That's what the race was about yesterday, baby and I dug it.

No comments:

Post a Comment