Thursday, September 20, 2012

Teachers And The NRA

I am shooting from the hip here. Working off a vibe. Feeding off an impression.
I dig teachers. I truly believe it is a noble profession.
What could be more significant than passing on knowledge? Knowledge that hopefully will give someone a better life, a chance.
About three or four hundred years ago I got a tiny taste of what it could be like. I was unemployed at the time and I volunteered for a reading program at the local school. Reading to very young children.
I would show up, the kids would gather around me and I would read to them.
It was one of the best experiences of my life.
Looking into those young eyes, realizing that I was making some sort of impression on them, was humbling.
They dug me and I dug them.
When I hear about teachers striking I am in their corner. Teachers should be paid extravagantly. Teachers should earn $250,000 a year, corporate executives should work for $7.25/hour.
But I get the feeling they are striking for the wrong reasons. Like protecting the concept of tenure, which is the most bizarre concept in employment history.
Again I am shooting from the hip here but I don't get the feeling that they are striking to improve ways of teaching the kids or that learning is at the heart of their concerns. I think when you get down to the nitty gritty I think the teaching community is a closed community with it's own strange culture and specific concerns.
When I listen to their arguments I get an NRA feel in my gut.
The NRA is the most mindless, manipulative organization in the entire recorded history of organizations.
If President Obama created legislation outlawing death, if he had the power to eliminate death, the NRA would oppose it because it would negatively impact gun sales. But they would frame it as a violation of  second amendment rights.
The government tries to ban or limit sales of guns that are only useful and defensible in combat conditions and the NRA whips up an emotional, non-thinking response from their members making it sound like self defense is being legislated against.
They have become a caricature of themselves and unfortunately make their members look like empty headed cretins who spend their nights caressing their guns in dark corners while sipping on rot gut whiskey.
When the NRA gets to speechifying I squirm. Because there is an underlying impression of a thought process that goes way beyond the right to bear arms. An impression that makes me uncomfortable and doesn't feel logical or rational or safe.
I get a similar sensation when teachers strike. An underlying impression of a thought process that goes way beyond the commitment to teach "our kids".
I may be wrong here.
I hope I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment