Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Four A.M. Strategy

I woke up at 3:53 this morning because Carol got up to visit the bathroom.
When she crawled back into bed I was in that trance state, that half awake, half asleep state. Which meant that if I just stayed there I would fall back asleep shortly.
But I knew I would probably have to visit the bathroom myself sometime before the alarm went off at 6:00. It is inevitable.
So the question was should I try to go back to sleep and let nature take its course, or should I attempt a preemptive strike. Get up and roll the dice.
No small decision.
Laying in bed as I was, there was a good chance I could fall asleep again within half an hour or so.
When I go vertical I am doomed. Once I walk to the bathroom and get the body moving, I am one of those people who will lie in bed for an hour, sometimes two, waiting to fall asleep again.
As opposed to my wife who is the instant coffee version of a sleeper. Within five minutes of her head hitting the pillow OR LESS, she ALWAYS falls asleep.
I know. I have been lying next to her for thirty four years staring at the ceiling as she sleeps restfully.
For some reason that I do not understand I decided to make the trip.
At 4:50 I knew I had made a mistake.
If a crisis occurs in this country, they better not mistakenly make the 3:00 a.m. call to me.
I would definitely make the wrong decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment