Monday, September 3, 2012

John Prine...................Again

Washed a pile of dishes, cooked breakfast, listening to John Prine to get me through it all.
I have talked about him and this song - Taking A Walk  - before, in passionate terms so I will not bore you with repetition.
EXCEPT, just before the chorus he says ooohhhhhhh...............aha.........I'm Taking A Walk.
The way he says aha blows me away. It's not the music itself or the lyrics alone that make a song. It's what you do with the music and the lyrics.
That aha perfectly sums up the mood of the song. Everything about that song is revealed in the aha. I'm pissed off at life, I'm taking a walk. A deeply reflective mood expressed perfectly in two syllables.
THAT is what music is all about.

One more lyric from another of his songs.
"Waiting for a call at the wrong end of a broom."
We are all waiting for a call at the wrong end of a broom. Some of us are trying to make that call happen. Some of us are dreaming that the call will happen.
But we are all waiting for a call at the wrong end of a broom.

No comments:

Post a Comment