Saturday, May 7, 2022

April Is Dead To Me

April is dead and gone.

Like Jesus, between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, I lost a bit of time.

Couldn't do much with it or about it because I was hobbled. A bit of a shame because April represents the beginnings of good weather, as thin as that can be.

We are careening into May, whoa there, baby. May is exceptional. May is the first month that fulfills the promise of Spring. Today is May 7. Good weather is ripping by like a Formula 1 race car.

I have had to take drastic action.

Two Fridays in a row I have worked 11 hour days. Two weeks in a row I woke up crippled on Saturday. Back on the fucking crutches. I even iced my knee up twice at work yesterday, to no avail.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I get the message.

I have to work next week. There is a lot going on, the box office manager set up a schedule so me and my two compatriots cover the box office 100% of the time it is open, freeing him up to do everything he needs to do to get everything ship shape.

I cannot let him down. I have to work. But only in the box office, no shows, no 11 hour days.

I am taking the week after that off. 100%. No work at all, my strikingly handsome face will not be gracing the turf of the box office. My plan is also to take the next week off as well - 100%. Part B is negotiable to a limited extent if I make a miraculous recovery during Week 1.

I am sick of dealing with this.

I went back to work too soon and I knew it; I did it because I felt obligated to, given the poverty line that Carol and I live below.

Fuck that. It is my deeply held belief that if I wasn't working at all, my knee would be 100% healed by now.

Patient heal thyself.

However, I am not a fool. I have made provisions for our financial well being.

I bet $50 to win on Crown Pride in today's Kentucky Derby.

No comments:

Post a Comment