Saturday, May 21, 2022

Formula 1

I am digging Formula 1.

Haven't watched one NASCAR race this year, maybe watched a couple last year. Not into it anymore. No idea what is going on.

Ironic, because as we began to crawl out of the Covid Apocalypse a couple of years ago, NASCAR was one of the first sports to come back. And I watched like a junkie who hasn't fixed for half a day.

I gobbled it up, wide eyed and jubilant.

Formula 1 appeals to my sense of........................

First of all I love the cars. Beautiful Beasts. Exquisite Creatures. Strange Animals. Drivers hunched down inside like they are in a womb. Peaking out ahead as they travel over 200 mph. Over 200 mph. Beautiful.

NASCAR cars pretend to be like street cars, try to look like them. Of course that's like comparing a spaceship to a baby carriage. Formula 1 does not pretend - they put these monsters on the track - sleek and intimidating - and say "Check them out, ain't they cool?" I think they have a bit of the dark side to them.

The car manufacturers who sponsor - Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo. Brilliant.

The circuit - Spain, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Italy, Monaco, Austria, France, Belgium - so fucking exotic. Christ, man - I live in NH. Fucking Rhode Island is exotic to me. Bahrain? Gotta love it.

I thrill to these fascinating locations. And people. Although it interests me that the people in the stands look and cheer just like NASCAR fans. It's the insiders who are foreign and fascinating.

I wish I lived in Spain. Or Brazil. These are my kind of people. I could feel alive there, be alive there. Alas, it is not to be. I am condemned to blandness. Hopefully my family can light my corpse on fire and barbecue over it when I die. That would be exciting, as my face melts into oblivion. 

And I bet the ribs would be fucking delicious.

More sponsors - Emirates, Rolex, MSC Cruises. Class up the ass, baby.

I catch bits and pieces of races. I don't watch from start to finish because they are usually on relatively early in the morning because the races are run in groovy locales. But I may work up to it. I need a thrill.

I can't have Blueberry Hill but I can definitely have Formula 1.

They are racing in Spain this weekend.

Perhaps I'll fly over there tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment