Wednesday, May 18, 2022

No More Football

Hunter S. Thompson left a suicide note on February 20, 2005.

He titled it "Football Season Is Over."

He was a crazy football fan. So am I. I understand where he was coming from.

He didn't kill himself because football was over, there was a lot more going on there. But traditionally, after the Super Bowl, he was down in the dumps.

The Super Bowl this year was on February 13. After that I embraced the Bruins with everything that is good and god-fearing and passionate within me. I followed them all season long, but after the Super Bowl I was as a rabid Pit Bull tearing into the carcass of a hapless raccoon.

The Bruins were eliminated from the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs on May 14. They gave me the gift of 3 more months of life. Now I am lost.

No football, no hockey. I hate this time of year sports-wise.

Thank god for the Celtics. Fighting for victory in the Eastern Conference Finals. I am not much of a basketball fan, but I'll happily jump on the bandwagon with absolutely no self-consciousness at all.

But it's not the same.

I need crazy, I need violence, I need insanity, and I will not get that from the International Badminton Tournament. Which is being held, by the way, between August 21 and August 28.

I am not well rounded when it comes to sports. Many would say I am not well rounded at all. I don't fucking care.

I can't trade one sport for another. I will happily watch NBA playoffs, golf, tennis, baseball and enjoy them - but I lose myself in football and hockey.

And since I don't like myself or my life, losing myself is the key to survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment