Thursday, May 12, 2022

Boston Sports

The C's are down 3 to 2 in the second round of the NBA playoffs. The B's are down 3 to 2 in the first round of the NHL playoffs.

Shit, man - Boston sports fans are praying for two Game Sevens. Two.

That's the way it is if you are a fan of Boston sports teams. Not the Game 7 thing; the fact that we got two teams in the playoffs.

Boston sports teams are descended from heaven. We have enjoyed decades of sports excellence, especially if you are a football fan.

Boston sports teams carry weight, baby. Bruins, Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox - all storied franchises. You speak those names you are uttering a prayer. 

The Sox underachieved for 86 years, but they made up for that with a vengeance since. And the real point is that Red Sox fans hung in there. They did not run for the exits.

I wish the therapeutic value to fans of successful sports teams could be measured. You know where I stand on this. Sports gets you out of your life; it excites you, distracts you, makes you feel fucking alive. You get into it. You read about it, you talk about it. 

You get delirious. You feel. You are part of a group of thousands, if not millions, of people who are all rooting for the same thing.

A championship.

Because a championship gives you a reason to go over the top; with your emotions and your celebrations - it allows you to live your life with abandon and release the emotions you typically have to keep in a prison cell because expressing them intensely would not be considered mature or professional.

I am watching the Bruins playoffs with laser-like focus. I   am   all   in. I live with every goal they score, I die with every goal they give up. I want another fucking Cup. Period.

I am not a huge basketball fan, but I have caught the final minutes of all of the Celtics playoff games and I have rejoiced and recoiled.

Two Game Sevens, man.

If the Bruins win and the Celtics win, my life will be so much better than it has been for all of 2022. Me and milllions of my friends.

If they get eliminated, it will hurt a lot. I will be down.

Then I will take a breath and root for the Red Sox to turn it around. Shit, man, they haven't won a World Series since 2018. Slackers.

Then it's on to The PATS. Love of my life.

Sports are no joke, motherfucker.

They are life.

No comments:

Post a Comment