Saturday, August 31, 2024

Far Away Eyes

Finished up a movie a couple of nights ago, it was around 1:00 am, I was awake enough and there was whiskey left in the glass, so I went to youtube and binged on The Stones.

In particular - Far Away Eyes - I listened to it 3 times. Love the song.

When I tended bar at the Legion I was friendly with a guy who was born in Scotland and made his living in this country as a stone mason. He was one rough dude. Physically tough, intimidating in nature, projected a "you don't fuck with me" kind of aura (which nobody did), but a good guy. With a super cool accent.

We hit it off. Especially with a few whiskies under our belts. More especially when someone played Far Away Eyes on the jukebox. Sometimes we took matters into our own hands and played it ourselves.

We both loved the song.

There is kind of a narrative feel to the lyrics - you gotta check it out - where Mick talk/sings with a faux southern accent. Up to the chorus, which is sung.

I am sad to say I can't remember my friends name. Anyway, we would stumble through the narrative part, which we didn't always get right, but we nailed the chorus. Every time.

Then it was glasses raised, glasses clinked, whiskey down the throat.

Music and alcohol are a magical combination. A failed accountant and a Scottish stone mason sharing whiskey and singing together in public? How does that happen?

It happens because music + alcohol cuts right through the bullshit and allows for the free and open expression of fun and abandonment.

It is the purest form of living in the moment. It is living, period.

I miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment