Friday, August 10, 2012

I Am A Diseased Man

I watched the entire first half of THE PATS first pre-season game last night.
What the hell was I thinking?
With 8:00 to go in the 2nd quarter I was looking at Ryan Mallett.
Didn't matter. As usual I was as giddy as a school boy.
THE PATS are a quality organization. I was vibing to the opening hype - you know the first minute of the broadcast when they show clips from last year and cool highlights, you are getting pumped out of your skull - and they slipped in a tribute to Junior Seau.
I wasn't even thinking about Seau, haven't in a while - and yet THE PATS chose to remember him, appropriately. Got me thinking about him and the latest mass killing. I couldn't even tell you how many people got killed this time. Haven't paid attention to it.
It is sad that we have to swallow so much grief in this world that we can process it and forget it in a heartbeat. Even ignore it.
But I digress.
Chandler Jones. Defensive end. FROM SYRACUSE. I liked the looks of this guy. Looks like a fast moving, nimble, tough defensive dude - somebody who can reduce opposing quarterbacks to tears.
Brandon Lloyd. Really had me pumped. Looked like he and Brady are clicking already. Looking smooth and confident. Saw him interviewed pre-game and it was obvious he had swallowed the cool aid. Talking animatedly, excitedly about playing for THE PATS. Catching what Brady throws.
I love this about this organization. Players are honored to play here and the system is one that promotes genuine team camaraderie.
Other teams try to fake it and they come across that way. THE PATS are real, baby.
Didn't see enough of Dont'a Hightower. Linebacker. FROM ALABAMA. Apparently he is another highly touted prospect but he didn't show me enough. We'll have to have a talk.
Stevan Ridley. Running back. FROM LSU. He looked good last night. Shucking and jiving, dodging and aliving. Spurred my adrenaline.
One guy on the offensive line scared the hell out of me. I think it was Nate Solder. Tackle. FROM COLORADO. If he doesn't shape up the only thing he'll be protecting is his ego.
Look at the receivers Brady has to choose from at the moment. Deion Branch, Julian Edelman, Donte Stallworth, Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, Gronk, Hernandez, and Welker. Whatever the final configuration is, it will be stellar.
OK I am ready to go. I'm even ready to give up on summer. Carol and I have tried valiantly to make the most of it but the scum at the NHSLC have conspired to limit my financial flexibility. And as always it comes down to money.
Football is back. Football transcends all other professional sports. It is a spectacle.
I f***ing love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment