Monday, August 6, 2012

Torrential Blues

Groovy afternoon, baby.
Yesterday Carol and I bopped out to hear some outdoor summertime blues, baby. 3:00 over to Hopkinton for Jeff Dearborn and The Contoocook Blues Society at the gazebo.
Hot summer afternoon with a steady breeze.
This band rocks.
Harp, two guitars, bass, keyboards, sax, drums.
Sitting there digging blues heaven on a summer Sunday the way life is supposed to be.
Hell of a lot of old people there, even older than me. Don't know what that was about. I was digging an old broad sitting in front of me tapping her hand to the music. In time. She was 109 years old and she was feeling the music. I love it.
Dogs, kids, a few long hairs, sundresses, blankets, shorts, hats, a train car, a bank, a tree, people ducking out for a swim, dancing to the river, dancing their way back.
Sky clouded up, rain happened, slowly at first, wind picked up a bit, we got damp, we didn't care. Few people left, diehards stuck around.
Then the sky opened up. I mean it poured and the wind was howling. It looked like that scene in Caddyshack where the priest golfs himself to a lightening climax. No exaggeration.
The band threw in the towel, we grabbed our chairs and headed over to the PeaceMobile.
We got soaked through to the skin. Hair plastered to our skulls, clothes sopping wet. When I got home I discovered even my underwear was wet. That's how hard it rained.
We climbed into the car, looked at each other and laughed.
It was great. A mad, blues orchestrated adventure. We were only there for an hour but we got to hear great music from a great band and we got a free shower.
Summer is screeching by and I tremble in anticipation of it's rapid end.
But Carol and I are having fun.
We are doing it.
And we ain't done yet, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment