Wednesday, December 7, 2022

It's Not Just Lunch, For Christ Sake

Had lunch with my high school friends again yesterday.

We are trying to make this a thing.

Got together last summer at Jim's place, had lunch last month, had lunch yesterday.

When we get together it's like a before and after picture. We were close friends 50 years ago. 50 years later we haved lived lives, we have fought and lost, fought and won, had kids, jobs, careers, losses, gains, diseases, injuries.

We are the same people only well seasoned.

It is a fascinating take on life. And it fills a need.

A need in me that is enormous and meaningful. I am at peace with them. Comfortable. I love them.

Worries stop when I am with them. I am me when I am with them. How could I not be? They know me inside and out. If I was phony they would call me on it.

50 years provide a sharp perspective. Memories and true friendships mellow that out, getting at what is real in life, while still recognizing the vicious, heavyweight boxing match that life is.

These get togethers are helping me to survive my own fucking self-destructive, lying, delusional, bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment