Thursday, December 22, 2022

This Is How I Get My Fucking Beef

In 2023 I will eat less meat.

 "Immediately after birth the calf is separated from its mother and locked inside a tiny cage not much bigger than the calf's own body. There the calf spends its entire life - about four months on average. It never leaves its cage, nor is it allowed to play with other calves or even walk - all so that its muscles will not grow strong. Soft muscles mean a soft and juicy steak. The first time the calf has a chance to walk, stretch its muscles and touch other calves is on its way to the slaughterhouse. In evolutionary terms, cattle represent one of the most successful animal species ever to exist. At the same time, they are some of the most miserable animals on the planet."

From Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari, relative to the agricultural revolution phase of human development.

I love a soft and juicy steak. Every other week when Carol goes food shopping she picks up two Delmonico steaks, which we eventually enjoy as a special treat. We always look forward to it. Two beautiful steaks, two luscious baked potatos.

Every time I read about how animals are abused to provide me with those two steaks, my heart breaks. But not enough, apparently. I still eat them.

I have experimented with vegetarian recipes before and found some delicious ones.

I will do more of that in 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment