Friday, January 31, 2014

Jane Austen Is Much Maligned

I am reading "Hitch 22" -  Christopher Hitchens memoir.

I love this guy. This is the third book of his that I have read and it is always supreme brain nourishment.

I have to slow down and take it all in. I read quickly unless I am reading writing of an intellectual bent. I have to think and contemplate, interpret and reflect when I read this kind of writing.

I think it is good for me. Kind of like taking the time to enjoy a fine meal in a pleasant restaurant versus dashing through McDonald's drive-through on my way to the next blood work appointment.

Hitchens was reminiscing about his friendship with Kingsley Amis, British poet, critic, novelist and teacher.

Kingsley made disparaging remarks about Jane Austen.

I find it fascinating that I come across this just a couple of days after hearing Mark Twain's assessment on NHPR.

What are the cosmos trying to tell me?

No comments:

Post a Comment