Friday, January 31, 2014

Voodoo Optometrist

The optometrist Carol and I visit is an elderly gentleman.

Probably mid 70's.

I love the guy. He is an older guy with a young and open mind.

We have great conversations which I enjoy immensely. I have always said I enjoy conversations with those more advanced in age than myself because they have nothing to prove. They are fully formed and have lived a life.

They speak unaffectedly.

This is not always true. Some fools never grow up, always feeling they have something to prove.

But in general, it does appear that with age comes wisdom.

This became blindingly apparent to me when I started tending bar at the American Legion. I started at the tale end of an old age wave - a lot of guys in their 70's and 80's were regulars.

They made me laugh, we talked seriously, and my favorite - they would openly mock the younger fools in the bar who were putting on a show. The older dudes would openly challenge things these fools said, and then make hilariously cutting comments about them out of the corner of their mouth.

I had my vision checked a few weeks ago and we got to talking. Talking about what I am going through with the pinched nerve in the neck. Dr. M was very interested.

He told me that in the 90's he got together with an osteopath friend of his because of something his friend had noticed.

He prescribed exercises for his patients and he noticed that they worked well for some patients and not so well with others. Eventually he noticed that to a large extent, the patents who did not respond wore glasses.

That's when he called Dr. M.

Dr. M read up extensively, studied and began meeting with these people and discovered that many of them had bum eyeglass prescriptions. Their vision was unbalanced and their glasses were not correcting that.

He corrected the situation and a lot of the patients began to respond positively to the exercises.

In his research he learned that when the vision is unbalanced, the body fights against itself, one side against the other, and causes all kinds of physical ailments. He learned to detect this condition by gently placing his hands on the head and neck of patients to interpret the vibe being emanated.

At my recent exam he did the hands thing and told me he felt a strong vibe of conflict in my body. That there was a definite one side against the other thing going on.

My left eye is much weaker than the right. It has been that way for many years.

Up until now I have been using reading glasses that correct for that situation. Obviously I only wore them to read. So the rest of the day the imbalance in my vision was not being corrected.

Now that I am older and degenerating rapidly, my distance vision has begun to fade and Dr. M prescribed bifocals. He theorized that wearing the glasses around the clock could contribute to improving the neck thing.

I picked the glasses up on Wednesday. He fitted them up right and proper and then we decided to test his theory.

I sat in a chair with the glasses on looking out the window as he did the hands thing. After a few minutes he told me to take the glasses off and keep looking out the window.

When I did it, felt like my left shoulder was moving forward. It was weird because I knew I was not moving, but I definitely felt it.

Within seconds he said to me: "Oh, yeah, I definitely feel a change. It feels like the left side of your body is twisting forward."

My mind was blown.

I know you think I am suffering through the DT's. I know you think I felt what I wanted to feel.

But the truth is, I did not have any expectation. It just happened. I definitely felt it and it was powerful and strange.

Dr. M said to me: "The eyes are powerful."

It makes sense.

I am desperate for this neck thing to go away. Truthfully I am wearing the glasses as much as I can and I have not experienced miraculous healing.

But I do believe that correcting the imbalance in my vision can contribute to the healing.

Like every other goddamn thing I have tried, it will probably take time.

I am walking on the wild side here.

It feels perfectly natural.

And right.

No comments:

Post a Comment