Sunday, January 26, 2014

What I Don't Know

For some reason I went online to read up on "On Tour With Delaney & Bonnie and Friends", the magnificent album that recently transported me to nirvana.

This album has owned me forever. I have the vinyl, I have the cassette, the CD and it breathes on my iPod.

The album cover is one of my favorites.

Anyway, a little effort, a little reading, taught me some stuff.

First of all, Clapton was touring with this band. He had just come off the break up of Cream and was tired of the Clapton is God stuff. He just wanted a break, a chance to fade into the background and support good musicians.

I knew all this.

The band was an 11 piece band, and they rocked. What I didn't know was that most of them would go on to play on Clapton's first solo album. And that the core of this group, Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlock and Jim Gordon would mutate into Derek & the Dominoes, a band that recorded cool stuff with Clapton, including "Layla". And that most of that group would be the core of George Harrison's first solo CD, the amazing triple album "All Things Must Pass" that George exploded onto the world to release his pent up creativity, the creativity that had been held back in The Beatles.

I am familiar with Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlock and Jim Gordon because I am a music freak of nature. They are legendary session musicians and band members.

I just didn't realize the extent of their contributions.

I should have.

Anyway, for the 13 millionth time I will reiterate my love, fascination, joy and glee at the incestuous way supreme musical talent feeds one on another to keep giving us the beauty that eases our difficult days.

Dig it, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment