Sunday, March 4, 2012

More Words About The Cats

I am continuously amazed at my love for Maka and Lakota. Spiritual beings of the highest order who give me love freely, ask for love easily, make me laugh , make me sigh in contentment, make me observe them in wonder.
I am passionate with these two creatures. I hold them, kiss them, pat them, talk to them. Talk to them a lot.
In moments when my emotions run highest, when I am burning with passion of whatever sort, I bend down and touch my forehead to the top of their head.
Its an act of gratefulness and love from me to them, very intimate. Its my favorite, most intimate expression of the depth of our relationship.
They never back off. Which amazes me, especially with Lakota. She doesn't like to be approached from the front. Whenever I get down to eye level with her and pat her, if I get too close she will back up. Perhaps my scarred, distorted, horrendous face repulses her.
Yet when I do the forehead thing, she doesn't move.
I only hold the position for a few seconds, but it floods me with tenderness.
Carol brought pets into my life. My parents wouldn't allow it. Could be a contributing cause to my stilted emotional and intellectual development. Obviously I have great love for animals. Denying me that outlet for passion in a house where I often felt like an outcast may have wounded me irreparably. Who knows.
Carol wanted pets (grew up with them all her childhood in a much more open and liberal household). I hesitated. One day she just declared "We are getting a dog today" and dragged me and our sons to the SPCA. Came home with Onyx. The most beautiful, loving, sweet, fun, playful dog who ever existed. He pranced into my heart, really opened it up and made me wonder how I ever made it that far without animal spiritual companionship. We had inherited two cats from Carol's brother prior to that but I kept them down in the basement. Allergies. Supposedly.
Finally allowed them up into the house shortly before acquiring Onyx. The whole thing came together beautifully.
So pets have been in my life now for the last 26 years or so. I could never live without them again.
One more thing to thank Carol for.

No comments:

Post a Comment