Tuesday, March 6, 2012

That's Not The Way My Parents Raised Me

"That's not the way my parents raised me."

I automatically assume when I hear someone say those words that they are stupid. Idiota. Its usually country folk.
Your parents didn't raise you. They fed you, clothed you, gave you a house to hide in or run away from. Then they tried to fill your head - either consciously or unconsciously - with prejudices, poison, and warped opinions. They influenced you through their own anxieties and failures, their suffering, pain and unhappiness. Their  DISAPPOINTMENT.
Nobody pays attention to "how their parents raised them" except to rebel against it.
Even myself - the self appointed KING OF ALL FATHERS - failed miserably.
I tried to fill Keith and Craig's heads with love, open mindedness, inquisitiveness, love of learning, self esteem and an overarching desire to bring peace on earth to all good men.
Craig is currently doing 25 to life in Lompoc. Keith leads a religious cult in Mexico whose core belief is that the sacrifice of virgins guarantees a seat at the right hand of god.
If you ever utter those words in my presence I will slap you silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment