Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Would You Kill God?

Watched a movie last night. Heavy duty. The Last Deadly Mission. French movie. With subtitles. I have a confession to make. I watch foreign films with subtitles. Subtitles don't bother me. In fact I kind of like them. Do you think less of me?
I enjoy foreign films because they are often provocative. Bolder than American films. But then again the rest of the world is so far ahead of us in maturity that we are a fetus by way of comparison.
Anyway the opening scene is a cop talking with a psychiatrist. The cop asks the doc if she believes in God and she says yes. He says "God's a son of a bitch. Someday I'll kill him."
BOOM. What a line.
Got me thinking. Would you kill God if you could? If you found out he was vulnerable and you felt you had a reason, would you kill God? Could you get yourself to do it?
I would ask him one question: "Why do children get cancer?" If he couldn't answer that to my satisfaction I would kill him. And the answer would have to be the "Oh my god now I understand how everything in the universe works and the meaning of life is perfectly clear to me" type of answer. No bluffing, no grey areas, no hesitation.
And what if you did kill him - how would that effect the balance in the universe? Would the Devil rise up and blanket the earth in unspeakable evil? Feels like he's doing that right now, so I can't imagine it getting any worse.
Besides, if you can kill God, you can kill the Devil and the Devil is a lot easier to find. Christ, I have had many a whiskey with the Devil, I know the bars where he hangs out.
If you killed God and you killed the Devil maybe the world would be a better place. With their bickering out of the way we would no longer be pawns in a power struggle. Then we could concentrate on treating each other as humans instead of concentrating on putting the most attractive make-up on our souls.
If I came face to face with God knowing he was vulnerable I would still be in awe. He created the universe. The only thing I have created is a nonsensical, tangled mess of a life, and that took 58 years. He created the world in six days.
I would chat with him, have a beer, a couple of shots , watch some football. I'd fire up the barbie and show off my prowess on the grill.
But eventually he would have to answer my question.
If I killed him, would that make me the new God?
That would piss off a lot of people, but it would confirm suspicions I have had about myself for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment