Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thanks, Marty. You Done Good.

Martin Scorsese put together a tremendous documentary on the life of George Harrison. I watched the first part many months ago but was prevented from watching the second part because the damn thing just never popped up on On Demand in Comcast. I cried a river of tears. Then, suddenly both parts became available.
Boom I watched Part Two on that crappy snow day. Now I have to dedicate myself to watching both parts back to back. Its that good. Four hours of my life tuned in to a man of significance is not too much to ask. Maybe I'll call in sick to work that day.
When I encounter young uns who cannot name all four Beatles, my instinct is to exterminate them immediately. This is unacceptable. John Paul George and Ringo were not just a musical nuclear blast, they were a historical nuclear blast. The Beatles should be a course in every school across the land, right alongside history, math and the proper techniques for efficient contraception and cosmic lovemaking (F*** You, Santorum).
I cannot wrap my arms around Paul McCartney. The guy is insincere. His comments are always superficial. From John and George you got depth. Ringo is real and I love him. Paul's comments in this documentary are simplistic and devoid of emotion. There were times that his eyes got moist but the guy just doesn't ooze passion. I have seen this time and time again from him.
It confuses me. I know he has written a lot of disappointing songs but he has also written powerfully emotional songs that I sing along to at the top of my lungs. Lots of them.
I want my gods to be passionate. I want them to knock me out with their words, their thoughts, their philosophies. I want them to change my brain and then change it again.
Paul doesn't do this. Never has. I guess he's human. But I cannot accept human in a Beatle.
Ringo breaks down in this documentary talking about his last conversation with George. George was close to death. Ringo had a daughter fighting a brain tumor at the time. Her name is Lee Starkey. Ringo was flying back and forth between Boston (his daughter) and England (George). The last time he saw George, Ringo said "Well I'm off to Boston". George with his great sense of humor said "Do you want me to go with you?" As Ringo was explaining that these were the last words George ever said to him, Ringo broke down and cried. Then in typical Ringo fashion he said "This is like a F***ing Barbara Walters special isn't it?"
Ringo's daughter has survived. She is still around today. Very cool.
Paul did not do that. I never saw him do it over John's death either. I have to accept Paul because he is a Beatle and they meant everything to me. But I accept him with reservations.
Anyway.......... the documentary shows all sides of George, and there were many. Watch it. Now. Don't waste your time with trivial matters. Feed your soul.
His wife Olivia tells a story that I love. They were watching a glorious sunset together. Fiery red sky overwhelmed with beauty. George pointed to it and said "I want to do that." Anybody else says that and you ask "Want to do what?" Olivia said that she understood him and that was a perfect expression of who he was.
Regarding his spiritual quest and commitment, George said he was preparing for death. He said when the time came he wanted to leave his body properly. He wanted to be prepared so he could do it right. Head off into the afterlife armed with the right knowledge and the right attitude.
At the moment of his death, Olivia said the room lit up. She said if you were filming it you would not need artificial lighting.
I believe her.
I believe that George Harrison lit up the room in death in the same way he lit up the world in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment