Sunday, November 27, 2022

A Forensic Review of Thanksgiving 2022

Fucking awesome.

Still is. Carol and I are chillin' today. Doing absolutely nothing.

I should be working hard to save my life. We should be organizing the house so we can improve the odds of selling the fucking thing. But we're not. We are relaxing to the max. Because we fucking deserve it.

Thanksgiving day was supreme. Started off slow like they usually do. Sitting around the living room, watching football, shooting the shit.

But when we move to the table, piled high with the food Carol has worked so hard to prepare (she works her ass off on Thanksgiving and she loves it), the intensity picks up. Conversation, laughter, intimacy - this family rocks. This family is comfortable together, this family is love.

The day had a bit of a strange feel to it because if things go well (?) it might have been the last time we celebrate Thanksgiving in this house. After 36 years. Thirty six. Melancholy, but life moves relentlessly forward and forces change whether you want it or not.

Friday? Carol and I chilled to the max. Laid around the house like a couple of beached whales, only getting up to eat more turkey. Watched a thousand Law & Orders. Delightfully decadent day.

Saturday? Carol's birthday? Holy shit - what a day. Went out for breakfast with Craig & Amanda. Laid back, chowing, talking - intimate family stuff in a very relaxed atmosphere, a very relaxed way. Great start to the day. 

Came home for an hour (I took a semi-nap), jumped up and drove half an hour to meet up with Jeff and Becky (our nephew on Carol's side, and his wife), to watch their son Ryan play in a hockey tournament.

Ryan is our grand-nephew - how the fuck did we get so old?

Now dig - we hardly ever see them - we go years without seeing them. Ryan is 13 years old, last time we saw him he was 5. But we are close to them. Wanna know how that works? It works because there is love there. Carol and I both are in regular contact with Jeff - phone calls, texting etc. 

After the game Ryan shook my hand and hugged Carol, after being re-introduced to us. Very cool. AND, Ryan wished Carol a happy birthday, which was hilarious because Jeff and Becky forgot, even though I texted them a reminder before we hooked up. Got an "Oh shit I forgot" out of Jeff.

It was very cool to spend time with them and very meaningful.

Strange reaction on my part - I usually get quite depressed on the day after Thanksgiving; I hate that it's over, I hate the quiet in the house. Not this time - I felt happy. Maybe because I knew Saturday would be a good day. And maybe because my family filled my soul with a pride and a love and a happiness that gives me the strength to flip off reality. Maybe I'm learning. Here's hoping.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Great day, quiet day, great day, quiet day. A 50/50 mix. 

It has been spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment