Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Sensible Shoes

Sensible shoes.

The worst insult you can hurl at anyone. He wears sensible shoes. She wears sensible shoes.

Unfortunately, I wear sensible shoes. Rockport Men's Junction Lacetotoe Oxford.

Trouble with my back, trouble with my knees. I went through many pairs of shoes until I found these.

I have been wearing them for years. Pair after pair after pair. And they are fucking ugly.

But when I wear them, paired with Dr. Scholl's Heavy Duty Support Pain Relief Orthotics, Designed for Men over 200 Pounds, my knees don't ache, my back doesn't hurt. For the most part. Six+ decades in, there is always pain. All you can do is minimize it.

When my knees begin to ache, it's time to swap out a new pair of Dr. Scholls. When that doesn't work, it's time for a new pair of shoes. Useful omens.

I have become comfortable with the ugliness. Almost proud of it. Who gives a fuck, really.

I used to consider myself quite fashionable; now I don't care. I used to be a peacock; now I am walking my "look" backwards to basic. Not unfashionable, just basic in a stripped down way that still says something about me. I'm working on it, it's a work in progress.

Used to want the coolest shoes on the planet. I have owned a pair of two-tone shoes. I wore a pair of red "sneakers" just a few years ago. When I was tending bar at the Legion. You can imagine the response I got with those.

But here I am. Rock you like a hurricane. Christ, man - song lyrics - I just can't stay away from them.

2022. Rockport Men's Junction Lacetotoe Oxford. Dr. Scholl's Heavy Duty Support Pain Relief Orthotics, Designed for Men over 200 pounds.

When I was in college, I bought an orange crushed velevet suit (my father loved it).

My, my, I have come a long way, baby.

Who knew?

Who the fuck knew?



Official Countdown: 46 Days



No comments:

Post a Comment