Sunday, November 6, 2022

Powell's

Reading a book called The Ginger Man, written by J.P Donleavy, first published in Paris in 1955.

Fascinating read. Upon it's publication it was banned in Ireland and the United States by reason of obscenity. Of course it has since been vindicated, and has sold 45 million copies worldwide and has never been out of print.

More on that later.

I bought the book used through that filthy company, Amazon.

I was reading it this morning and a receipt fell out of the book - from Powell's Books in Portsmouth, Oregon. Powell's is the world's largest independent bookstore and is legendary.

I like legendary bookstores. I revere them. I want to visit them, but of course I never will. Ever hear of City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco? 

I also hunger to visit Red Rocks Ampitheatre, a magnificent concert venue, 10 miles west of Denver, Colorado. At least make the effort to google this place - the beauty of it will render the rest of your day meaningless. Of course I'll never get there either. 

The receipt from Powell's is dated 12/03/2006. Sixteen fucking years ago. It  represents the original sale because the price on the receipt is the price on the book. I have no idea how many times the book has been sold, but the presence of the receipt indicates that everyone who has owned it has saved the receipt. Isn't that amazing? 

I will save it too.

It was sold to Kyle Johnson. 

The recipt explains the Holiday Return Policy: Store credit available for new books we carry through January 31. Refunds available through January 31 with receipt dated Nov or Dec. Merchandise must be in original condition.

A little slip of paper in my hands on a Sunday morning that makes my day hallowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment