Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Greatest Quote Ever (Speaking As a Dad)

 "It's a wonderful feeling when your father becomes not a god but a man to you - when he comes down from the mountain and you see he's this man with weaknesses. And you love him as this whole being, not as a figurehead."

Robin Williams


My first reaction to this was pride - I have made the transition, and my sons have not killed me in my sleep. I feel we are as much friends as we are father and sons. My relationship with my sons breathes oxygen into my soul.

My second reaction was thinking that my father never came down from the mountain. There was always an air of authority about him, roughness and gruffness, concrete feelings on my part that he and I were different and he did not approve of who I became.

What would I be today if my father was more like me?

                                    or

If I was able to transcend the broken emotion between us?

I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment