Thursday, November 17, 2022

Never Get The Chance

I have today off from work.

I have the worst work schedule in the entire recorded history of working man. Every other fucking day. It's like Chinese water torture.

It has been a real grind lately.

Two weeks ago I worked three days in the box ofice and five shows at night. FIVE! I have never worked more than a couple of shows a week.

Full disclosure: My boss was sick as hell - non-functional, and two other people that we rely on to work shows were unavailable. I did it because it had to be done, and I didn't gripe about it (too much).

Besides, I will get a big, fat check. Enough to retire on. Or not.

But my nerves were shot at the end of that stretch. I was ready to kill. I worked two shows on a Friday night - TWO - one at 6:00 and one at 8:30. Bob Marley, the comedian. We had over a thousand people at each show. Which means I dealt with a wide swath of selfish, obnoxious fools.

I grabbed a slice of pizza around 6:45, in between shows, ran out to eat it in my car like an animal, and was back in by 7:15. I live a glamorous life.

This week I worked Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Two co-workers were unavailable.

But I have today off. Isn't that wonderful? Isn't it wonderful that I have today off?

I am so grateful. It is important to be grateful for tiny, little things.

Because odds are you'll never get the chance to be grateful for large things.

No comments:

Post a Comment